Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Kansas City, Kansas City here I come...









































































































































Had a good day today visiting some Indian ruins and the setting for Saturday afternoon Movie Westerns, but the cap on the day was attending a Ro-day-o. The 2010 Junior National Rodeo is being held in Gallup, NM this week.



Junior in this case is 6th, 7th, and 8th graders from across the US with some participants from Canada and Australia. There are 48 states represented (missing Alaska and New York of all places). The boys even ride bulls. No bucking broncos but real bulls. They may be junior bulls, but they have horns and are mean just like their daddies! Crazy!!



We were leaving Jefferson City, MO as we fell asleep last night. We are headed for Jefferson City, MO to visit the headwaters of the Pony Express. As you may recall, whilst I was visiting Sacramento, CA to take pictures of the Capitol building, I stopped by Old Town and snapped some shots of the end of the line for the Pone Express hoping that I would get to stop at Jefferson City to see where it all began.



On the way to Jefferson City, MO, kinda on the way, is Brunswick, MO and Sumner, MO. two glorious locations smack dab in the middle of no where. But they do have some special attractions.



Brunswick caught my early in the planning stages for my little journey. It just so happens to have the "World's Largest Pecan". Since I did not know that they grew pecans in Missouri at the time, I had to find out why they would have the world's largest and why did it not grow old and wither away like all the other pecans that fall onto the ground.



It turns out that this part of Central Missouri is big into pecans and into big pecans in general. The World's largest it turns out is made of concrete and in need of a touch up paint job, but it is in relatively good condition. On the property near the pecan was a bench memorializing the late owner of the pecan ranch on his 1999 demise. I would imagine that the world's largest pecan will slowly weather away. It is 11,000 pounds of concrete and does not look a pound over 8,000.



After nearly getting creamed by a speeding truck due to missing the turn-off to the pecan, it was off to Sumner, MO and the world's largest goose. Why Central Missouri is entitled to two such fine specimen of the USAs most enduring folk art I don't know. But here they are.



Brunswick is the place that I was alerted to the bridge being out at the main turnoff. This is the only place where I have had such notice. Like today's big disappoint that you will hear about in a later posting where I did not find out until I arrived at THE spot I was driving to, to find out it was closed. Thank you Missouri for the notice.



Next to the Sumner Goose was a cemetery. In the cemetery was this monument to the war dead of the US. Not for any war but all the wars. I have noticed these monuments in most of the towns on the highways and byways of my excursion. I would suppose they were started from one of the more recent wars whether Viet Nam or later and then all the casualties are memorialized. Small towns - the backbone of America. But why these places exist escapes me sometimes.



While driving to Sumner, I passed road signs warning that the roads flood in heavy rains and not to drive through the flooded roads. This means many miles of alternate routes each rainy season. Sumner was a grocery store, a closed gas station and a dozen houses. I am sure it was there to support the many farms in the area, but why live in Sumner, MO - especially if you have to drive many miles out of your way when it rains. What ever.



Since I was in the area I went in search of the Locust Creek Covered Bridge. There are many covered bridges in Indiana, Illinois and Missouri but I was not near one when I had the time to stop so off I went. Here is where the Rand McNally failed me again.



Not having a more detailed map of the area, I knew there had to be a sign directing me, but I was unsure of which county lane would have the sign. I drove in a big square getting more frustrated by the minute but also becoming more stubborn about finding it - it must have been the heat. But after finding it, I was humored by the fact that there is no water under the bridge. There is a sign that says that Locust Creek used to be here, but it moved near the parking area and the Locust Creek Bridge stands where it was built instead of being moved to where the Creek now flows. I also liked that they have put in pipes to a water hydrant in case the bridge catches fire. Not that anyone could get to the bridge in time to put out a fire, but I suppose part of the bridge would be saved. Then maybe they would move the remaining original pieces to the current location of Locust Creek. :)



Back on the road to Jefferson City. Burning daylight, there I go getting behind schedule again. Speaking of which, while driving down the road I passed the Chillicothe Airport. Not that the people of Chillicothe need an airport in and of itself, I suppose it serves the crop dusters as well as the private planes in the area.



I have discovered what the US Military has done with much of their out of date equipment. Many small towns have a piece of large retired war machinery. It can be a tank, or an anti-aircraft gun or a Blackhawk helicopter line in Vernal, UT, the Chillicothe Airport has this war bird. This is one airport that you do not overlook.



Before even getting to the world's largest pecan, I spied along the road what may be the world's largest grasshopper being chased by an alligator. This time there was no truck to run me down, but I still had to double back as I was not expecting these fine specimen of metal smithing along the backwater Missouri Highway 24 just outside Moberly. But these are just another reinforcement of why I am taking this journey. I should be filming this and then I could turn it into a travel show. Then I could have written the whole thing off and stayed in much better accommodations. I guess that is just like having a premonition of the bombing of Pearl Harbor on December 8th.



Finally making it to Jefferson City, only to find the museum was already closed for the day. Why do museums and tourist attractions close at 5 PM. Even the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art closed at 5 so it is not just small town America. I guess it is the visitors that originate in small town America that like to have supper at 5 or 5:30 that go back to their hotels and get ready to eat. Just one of those things that make me go - hmmm, I wonder why...?



Across the street from the Pony Express Museum is a stone marker showing where the riders left for Sacramento. While looking for a store to but some water and post cards, I found the large statue that mimics the one in Old Town Sacramento. There were no stores in the old section of Jefferson City where the Pony Express began. Nor were there any downtown near the larger statue. I had to go to the "beltway" to find a Walgreen's and a CVS. When looking for post cards, don't bother with CVS. Having searched in three different cities I now know to find a Walgreen's - have been successful each time.



To top off my being so late to getting to Lawrence, KS and bedding down for the night. Interstate 70 in Eastern Kansas is a toll road. No notice until you see a sign that says "Last Free Exit". uh oh. I seem to recall seeing this was a toll road, but at 9 PM, the details escaped me. On we go to the exit - which is closed due to road construction. Not only is it dark and I have never been to Kansas before, the State has added to its coffers by forcing me to take the next exit. You know that it cost more money for going 1 more exit. What a great way for the state to raise additional money from the toll roads - just randomly close an exit and force people to use the next one and pay an extra quarter. That would add up fast. I will have to pass this on to Arnold. It can be his lasting legacy for California - change the major North/South arteries to toll roads and have random exit closures.

Finally made it to the KOA. The money changer at the next exit had locations pre-programed into the computer for directions. At least Kansas thought that far ahead. Maybe it was because I was in Lawrence the location of the University of Kansas. With so many out of town people needing to get to the school for sporting events, graduation and such they thought enough to have the money grabbers have access to directions. And technically they were correct if not a tad misleading.

The directions to the KOA from the next exit appeared easy enough - three right turns. Just follow the yellow brick road, make three right turns, and you appear at the KOA. No where in the directions did it state that the highway through the streets of Lawrence turned left. Thank you very much. Of course the part of town I found myself was the restaurant and night club district - must have been near the campus - with mostly one-way streets. Like a good boyscout, I found my way. Lewis and Clark have nothing on my when it comes to finding my way - except in Hong Kong.

Found the yellow brick road again and made it to KOA. Was eaten alive by the mosquitoes while setting up the tent, but what a small price to pay for such a wonderful Shang-ri-la. Not even one complaint for my hammering in tent stakes or using a battery operated pump to blow up the air mattress at 11 PM. It also helped that I was the only tenter in the place and on the other side of the kampground from those lackeys in their road blocking moving houses.

I have found the larger the motor home the better the driver. It must be if you can drive a bus sized vehicle, with a car in tow you either are good at it or you have an accident every time you turn a corner. Now those small, self contained, over sized truck campers - get as far away as quickly as you can. Be afraid, very afraid.

thanks for coming along with me. Next stop will be Dodge City, well the next targeted stop is Dodge City - there will always be some exciting place along the way to investigate.

Michael

1 comment:

  1. Hong Kong indeed. Jen and I still laugh about how directionally challenged you were there. Don't let the yellow brick road lead you astray. You might have to collect a broom to find your way back home.

    ReplyDelete