Saturday, June 5, 2010

Yeah, but what about the helicopter...

That's what I get for not taking my time - I include a picture of a Cobra Helicopter with no explanation.

During my time in Vernal (1 syllable) I walked around town. As I did mention I went to the Natural History Museum, the Museum of Western Heritage and the rock shop.

While walking down the main street of Vernal, which is the highway from Salt Lake City to Jensen and the Dinosaur National Monument, I passed this helicopter. It is in front of the Uinta County Government Building. There is a plaque near the helicopter of course, but it does not explain why the pilot got the helicopter to be put in town. I assume he was from around Vernal, but it does not say. It does quote him on the plaque saying - "Not even the Marines can take this away from us now."

He must have had some issues getting the helicopter from the Army. It is a Cobra Gunship with the full rotor and the missile launchers on the side. Very impressive if you go for that sort of thing. It is about 20 feet in the air I suppose to keep the local juvenile delinquents - maybe they do not have those in Utah - to keep all those nosy tourists off of it. I will check RoadsideAmerica.com to see if this is listed for Vernal - if not I will send a picture and a description of it to the web site.

The trip back to Salt Lake City from Vernal was uneventful. As I mentioned I went by Flaming Gorge which took north thru Wyoming to I 80 to get back to SLC. I stopped in Evanston, WY for dinner at a Mexican Restaurant and the interesting thing is they served beer and margaritas. No other liquor 0ther than margaritas - interesting liquor license.

Thanks for coming along on my journey. Having a wonderful time!

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment